Rochester NY Pizza Blog Rochester restaurants LocalEats featured blog

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Tony Pepperoni''s, Henrietta, X-Large Cheese Pie

I've done one blog post about Tony Pepperoni in Henrietta, but it's been two and a half years, and that post was only based on one slice. So it was high time to go back and get a full pie.
Tony's pizzas come in 12-, 16-, and 18-inch sizes. I went with the 18", extra-large pie, just cheese. I also recently shared a 16" pie, which I didn't photograph or take notes on, but I will comment on that too, just to offer some comparisons.
The crust on the 18" pie was rather thin, and though Tony's offers thin, regular and thick crust, I didn't specify. So I would assume this was "regular," but I also can't imagine their crusts getting much thinner than this. So maybe if you don't specify, you get thin. Or maybe the 18" pie runs toward the thin side because they take the same amount of dough and stretch it out wider. The 16" pie did seem a shade thicker, although it was still pretty thin. But I like thin crust, so regardless, I was OK with this.
The underside on this pie was dark brown, though not charred. It was crisp and toasty, with a chewy, bready, narrow lip. The 16" pie was closer to charred, with a few nearly black spots on the crust, but not dramatically different.
The mozzarella cheese was moderately applied, and lightly browned here and there. The sauce - well, this was odd. I found it on the mild side, with a slightly sweet-salty tomatoey flavor, and a hint of oregano. My wife, on the other hand, thought it was quite salty - too salty for her, in fact. She's not generally overly sensitive to salt, so I don't know what to make of these different reactions we had to the sauce.
Salty or no, the pizza was pretty well balanced, with healthy doses of cheese and sauce, but not so much as to overwhelm the thin crust.
My family and I did all like the crust on this pizza, and it wasn't hard for me to polish off several slices. As has been my experience with Tony Pepperoni's in the past, it seemed to me like a derivative of New York style pizza. There were enough slight differences that I wouldn't actually call this New York style (nor does Tony Pepperoni claim it to be), but it's kind of like a cross between New York pizza and Rochester's more generic "American" style. A little heavier on the sauce than a New York pie, a little less crackly-crisp on the bottom, but still a bit bready, not greasy, and with the crust, sauce and cheese in good proportion to each other. I enjoyed it enough to give it a B+.
Tony Pepperoni's, 4164 West Henrietta Rd.
Tel.: 334-2830
Open daily 11 a.m. - 10 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment