Rochester NY Pizza Blog Rochester restaurants LocalEats featured blog

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Rhino's Buffalo Chicken Pizza

I've reported before about Rhino's Pizza on Humboldt Street, as well as its sister location in Webster. My slices were OK at both locations, but recently I returned to the Humboldt St. Rhino's to get a medium Buffalo chicken wing pie.
I had several reasons for going. One, I like to follow up at some places where I've only had individual slices, by getting a fresh pie to see how it compares. Two, so many people seem to like chicken wing pizza that I'd like to start checking some of them out. Three, I had a half-off coupon for Rhino's that was about to expire.
The crust on this pie was medium thick, with a well-browned underside that was dry to the touch, though not crisp. It had a soft, chewy texture and some pleasant breadiness.
There is no tomato sauce on Rhino's wing pizza, just hot sauce. I was given a choice of heat, and asked for medium. The crust was topped with a thin coating of sauce, which I'd say hit the medium mark pretty well. It had some kick to it, but wasn't so spicy-hot as to overwhelm the rest of the pizza.
A fairly thick layer of well-melted cheese came next. It seemed to be all mozzarella, and though I couldn't see any, I thought I detected some faint notes of blue cheese in the background. Crunchy chunks of deep fried, breaded chicken rounded out the pie, along with a bit of grease, though I suppose that's to be expected with a chicken wing pizza. If you really don't like greasy food, you're probably not a fan of Buffalo wings to begin with.
I think I'll always prefer more traditional forms of pizza to chicken wing pizza, but now and then it's not bad. My breadth of experience with this particular form of pizza is rather limited, but for me, this pie was better than a run-of-the-mill, average pizza, but not a world-beater either, so I'll give it a B.
Rhino's Pizzeria, 391 Humboldt St. 288-7492
Mon. - Thu. 11 a.m. - 9 p.m., Fri. & Sat. 11 a.m. - 11 p.m., Sun. noon - 8:30 during football season

No comments:

Post a Comment