Rochester NY Pizza Blog Rochester restaurants LocalEats featured blog

Friday, May 25, 2012

Wine Review: Barefoot Red Moscato

One of the many great things about pizza is that it pairs well with many different kinds of drinks. Cola over ice works well, as does a cold lager beer, a British-style ale, or a glass of wine.
With wine, there are lots of ways to go. Generally, whatever works with pasta, works with pizza. And a basic red pizza seems to call for a basic red wine.
One such wine that I recently received is Barefoot Red Moscato. This California winery turns out a wide variety of wines, which are generally affordably priced and accessible, meaning that you don't need to be a wine connoisseur to appreciate them.
The Red Moscato is a bit on the sweet side, though not cloyingly so, with a fruity, berrylike aroma and a flavor marked by hints of cherry.
I'm not sure I'd drink this with a pepperoni or other spicy pizza, which to me would call for a more robust, full-bodied red, but chilled, this makes a good partner for a simple cheese or veggie pizza. And at about $7 a bottle, it's an excellent value. It's available at most wine shops and liquor stores, so look for it or ask your retailer.

2 comments:

  1. I recently tried the clear Moscato from Barefoot and thought it was really good. I have a feeling the red might be a bit too sweet for me.

    I'd pair the clear with a spicy buffalo chicken pizza.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete