Rochester NY Pizza Blog Rochester restaurants LocalEats featured blog

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Return to Cordello's in Gates - CLOSED

Cordello's on Urbanspoon
NOTE: this location is now the home of Guerrieri's Pizza (3/26/13).
Over three years ago, I did a post about Cordello's on Lyell Road in Gates, giving it a B-minus for a slice that wasn't as crisp as I would've liked, but which had a crust with some nice charred notes and breadiness, topped with abundant cheese.
I've seen a couple of ads for this location recently, which have prominently announced that it's under new ownership. So between that and the length of time it's been since I was last there, I figured it was time for a revisit.
I got a couple of pepperoni slices around lunchtime. They were fresh out of the oven.
The thin to medium crust had a pale bottom that was dry to the touch, and indented with screen marks.
The toppings were a little better balanced this time, with moderate amounts of sauce, cheese and pepperoni. The sauce was a basic tomato sauce, with some herbs, neither exceptionally sweet nor salty. The processed mozzarella was a little browned, and the thin slices of pepperoni were serviceable but unremarkable. A narrow but distinct cornicione rounded things out. It had a bit more crispness than the rest of the crust but was not outstanding.
Currently, the Gates Cordello's offers 22 pizza toppings (10 of which are some form of meat) and six specialty pizzas. They also do calzones, wings, hot and cold subs, salads, plates, assorted grilled and fried foods, and Perry's ice cream. (They don't seem to have a website so I'll try to get an image of their menu up on my Facebook page.)
This was OK pizza, but just average. And I'd have to say it wasn't quite as good as last time, primarily because the crust was just too pale and lifeless. I'll go back sometime, but I have to give these a C.
Cordello's Pizzeria, 2445 Lyell Road
254-6110
Hours unknown at this point

4 comments:

  1. i think its closed...no signs of life for months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'll check it out next time I'm out that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is now "Guerrieri's Pizzeria" based on a D&C ad.

    Found their facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/Guerrierispizzeria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks again! I'll get out there soon. Here's their Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/Guerrierispizzeria

    ReplyDelete