Rochester NY Pizza Blog Rochester restaurants LocalEats featured blog

Thursday, December 4, 2014

Product Review: The Original Survival Bar

Readers of this blog will know that I do a lot of hiking. In fact my weekend day hikes in the Finger Lakes and the Southern Tier have led me to visit a lot of the pizzerias I've reviewed on this blog.

So I was happy to accept a free sample of The Original Survival Bar, from Hallelujah Acres. While I typically go on day hikes of five to ten miles, that's enough to want an energy boost along the way, without getting filled up or weighed down.

This would make a good choice. A 2.4 ounce bar provides 300 calories, with 13 grams of fat, 32 grams of carbs, 13 grams of protein, 6 grams of fiber, and a modest 30 mg of sodium. It contains no added salt, refined sugar, preservatives, or artificial flavors or colors. It's 100% organic and vegan, and contains "living enzymes," which means absolutely nothing to me, but I presume it's a good thing.

OK, so it's good for you. How does it taste?

I shared a bar with my 11-year-old daughter and we both liked it. It's got a chewy but not sticky texture, and is sweet but not cloyingly so. In terms of the flavor, I wasn't surprised to see that the first two ingredients are organic almond butter and date paste, or that it also contains raisins and sesame seeds. Imagine a combination of ground nuts and dried fruits and you'll have a pretty good idea of how it tastes.

Hallelujah Acres makes a variety of supplements and other vegan and organic products, which are easily found online. As an avid hiker, I can say that the Survival Bar makes a good alternative to the bags of trail mix I've often stuffed in my cargo pockets, which usually end up spilling out and/or getting stuck together. It's lightweight, convenient, nutritional, and tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment