Rochester NY Pizza Blog Rochester restaurants LocalEats featured blog

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Gregorio's, N. Goodman St.

Gregorio's Pizza on Urbanspoon
Gregorio's is on N. Goodman St. about a block north of Clifford Ave., right across the street from Bausch & Lomb. (There's another place named Gregorio's on Chili Ave. in SW Rochester, which used to serve pizza, but last time I drove by it appeared to be strictly a convenience store.)
I recently visited at lunchtime. They were doing a decent business, probably attracting a lot of B & L employees.
Two pepperoni slices were all that was available at the time. They were pretty big slices, so I got one.
The first thing I noticed about this pizza was how soft the crust was. So soft that I could fold it twice. The bottom was well browned, but had no crispness to it at all, except for just a bit of crunch along the edge.
The dough also was not very bready. It had a texture reminiscent of a pancake or thick crepe. There was little evidence of gluten development or a slow rise, which are needed to give you those nice air holes and bready chewiness on the interior.
The sauce was pretty sparsely applied. In terms of the overall flavor profile, it was very much a background player, but I did pick up a little herbal flavor. The cheese, which seemed to be all mozzarella, was applied a bit heavily, and was just barely browned. I would describe it as stretchy but not stringy.
Gregorio's is one of those places that offers several crusts - "regular" (which I assume is what I got), "thin & crispy," and "thick & chewy."
They have the usual assortment of toppings (although cauliflower is not something you see every day on a pizza menu), a modest number of specialty pizzas, and a rather extensive menu of other items, including wings, subs, etc., plus pasta dinners, fried chicken, soup and chili, fish fry, and a few desserts like cheesecake and cannolis.
Anybody who's been reading this blog for a while knows that I don't care for soft crusts, so it will come as no surprise that I wasn't crazy about this pizza. Just way too soft, no backbone whatsoever.
Having said that, it tasted pretty good. Eating pizza involves several senses - touch (with regard to the texture), taste, smell, and sight. Even hearing comes into play sometimes, if it's a crunchy slice. The texture of this one didn't do much for me, but the flavor wasn't bad. I may go back sometime for a thin & crispy and see what I think of that. For now, though, I'm giving Gregorio's a C-.
Gregorio's Pizza & Deli, 1313 N. Goodman St., 482-7110. Mon. - Thu. 11 a.m. - 11 p.m., Fri. & Sat. 11 a.m. - midnight, Sun. noon - 10 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment