Rochester NY Pizza Blog Rochester restaurants LocalEats featured blog

Monday, June 28, 2010

Good Guys, Ridgeway Ave.

Last month, Constantino's, a pizzeria on Ridgeway Avenue that I reported on a year ago, closed for good, which is too bad, because they made some decent pizza.
The good news is that the space is now home to the second location of Good Guys. I did a blog post on their original location in Chili in May 2009, giving it a B- for pretty good thin crust pizza. I was curious to see how the new Good Guys stacked up, so I swung by recently to check things out.
My cheese slice was quite thin. The crust itself was maybe 1/8 inch thick. The non-greasy underside was a bit floury on the surface, and nearly but not quite charred. It was a little crisp, and easily foldable. The thin lip at the edge had pretty good flavor and was nice and crisp.
There was not much sauce on this slice. It leaned more toward the cheesy side of things, with a uniform layer of melted, slightly tangy mozzarella. I could taste the sauce, which had a tomatoey flavor with a touch of herbs to it, but it stayed mostly in the background. The herbal flavor of this slice was accentuated by a fairly generous sprinking of dried herbs, which were visible across the surface.
Good Guys offers 20 pizza toppings, and five specialty pizzas, mostly geared toward carnivores. They also do calzones, wings, wraps, quesadillas, salads and sides.
This was not quite the same as the slice I got at the Chili location of Good Guys, but for the most part I liked it. For me, the crust could've been just a tad thicker, or at least had more of an interior, with some interior air holes. And a little more sauce would've helped balance out the crust and cheese. Still, it was a reasonably good thin slice of pizza, with pretty good flavor, and I'll give it a B.
Good Guys Pizza, 2532 Ridgeway Ave. 225-8788
Mon. - Thu. 11 a.m. - 10 p.m., Fri. & Sat. 11 a.m. - 11 p.m., Sun. noon - 9 p.m.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, My first visit. I am a pizza snob. I do not want to wade through countless reviews of mediocre pizza purveyors.

    Do you have a "Best Of" or quick take ratings? I'd like to learn what you liked quicker ... Then, I'll choose whether to resd the entire piece.

    If thers is no way to get a heads-up on what's good, I'll have to pass.

    I already assume most joints offer crap. I want to find the Pizza Stops and Nino's out there.

    Am I missing somethimg on your blog?\\

    Thanks,

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul, what color is the sky in your world?.."Best of..?...quick take ratings"?

    Look under the Pizza Guy's 'A' and 'A-' reviews.

    ReplyDelete