Rochester NY Pizza Blog Rochester restaurants LocalEats featured blog

Friday, April 29, 2011

Martino's, Long Pond Road, Revisited, Part II

Martino's Pizzeria on Urbanspoon
On my previous post, I reported on a thin-crust pie that I got at Martino's on Long Pond Road. It wasn't bad, but I don't think the thin crust was such a great idea.
So not long afterwards, I went back for a regular-crust pie. I went on a Monday, when Martino's offers a large pie with five toppings for only $9.99 plus tax.
I went vegetarian, getting black olives, hot and sweet peppers, onions and tomatoes. This was a very tasty combination, and Martino's (and other pizzerias) may want to think about adding it to their menu. I won't even ask for a royalty payment.
The crust was still fairly thin, less than a quarter inch near the center of the pie, and it gradually thickened to about three-quarters of an inch near the edge. The underside was dry and crisp, and evenly browned. Although it wasn't charred, I did pick up some toasty overtones in the aroma and flavor. The edge was formed into a narrow lip that had a pleasant crunch. Overall, the crust had a certain breadiness to it, though I found it a tad dry, and there wasn't a lot of internal chewiness.
The sauce, cheese and toppings were added in good proportion to the crust, and the pizza as a whole was well balanced. The sauce had a mild flavor, which tended to blend in to that of the other toppings. This was not a particularly cheesy pizza, but that was OK with me, as I generally prefer a light hand on the cheese, unless it's a thick-crust pizza. The added toppings might've benefited from the use of fresh olives, but I did enjoy my chosen combination, so I can't complain, especially at this price.
I certainly liked this pizza, and the one before it, more than the slices I got back in September 2009. The crust still fell a little short of greatness, but all in all these were better than average pizzas. So between the two of them I'll give Martino's a better than average grade, a B.
Martino's, 1742 Long Pond Rd., 14606, 247-5030
Mon. - Thu. 8 a.m. - midnight, Fri. 8 a.m. - 1 a.m., Sat. 10 a.m., - 1 a.m., Sun. 11 a.m. - 11 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment