Rochester NY Pizza Blog Rochester restaurants LocalEats featured blog

Friday, September 12, 2014

Country Kitchen & Pizzeria, Perry

I've done several posts now on pizza in Perry, NY, which for its size has a surprising number of places to choose from.
On a recent drive down that way, I stopped for lunch with my wife and daughter at Country Kitchen & Pizzeria.
A "Country Kitchen" sounds like exactly the kind of place you'd find on Main Street in a place like Perry, and I mean that in a good way. I love a good small-town restaurant. But "Country Kitchen & Pizzeria"? I was intrigued. Not necessarily hopeful, but intrigued. At the very least, I knew I had to try the pizza.
So we stopped for lunch. I ordered a slice of pizza and five wings. And all in all it was, well, OK.
The wings were pretty good, a little on the small side, but crisp and nicely coated with hot sauce.
The pizza slice was not quite as enjoyable, but it was acceptable. It was thick and somewhat chewy - not dense, but dotted with myriad small air holes, with a medium-soft texture.
The underside was pancake-like, with some oil-induced browning and a few bubbly spots. The edge was thick and chewy, brown on top and pale underneath.
The sauce was a bit dry, and the cheese, which had migrated toward the center of the pie, was chewy.
I would stop at CK&P again, but not for the pizza. My wife and daughter were happy with their food, and the service was good. It seemed to be a gathering place for locals, and I enjoyed my visit.
But the pizza was below par, in my opinion. It was reminiscent of convenience store pizza. I'm going to decline to give it a searchable label, because I don't want readers to jump to the conclusion that I didn't like this place overall. But I can't recommend the pizza.

Country Kitchen & Pizzeria, 34 S. Main St., Perry, NY
585 - 237 - 5640

6 a.m. - 8 p.m. daily

No comments:

Post a Comment