Rochester NY Pizza Blog Rochester restaurants LocalEats featured blog

Friday, November 14, 2014

Avoca Pizzeria


On a recent hiking excursion to Urbana State Forest, I stopped on the way home at Avoca Pizzeria, in its namesake town. Having worked up an appetite after a morning of hiking, I was ready for a slice of pizza.
The choices were limited to plain cheese or pepperoni, and I went with the latter.
It was OK, but barely OK. The underside of the thin-to-medium thick crust was spottily browned, with screen marks.
The crust hadn't risen much, and was a bit gummy on top. It was easily folded, and not crisp. It wasn't particularly oily to the touch, but I did pick up a faint hint of cooking-oil aroma.
As for the toppings, the sauce had a somewhat thick consistency, and a pronounced tomatoey flavor. The mozzarella was well melted, and had accumulated in between the bubbly areas of the dough.
This was, well, as I said before, an OK slice of pizza. But frankly it could have been better. My number one concern is the crust, and this crust had several issues, from lack of rising to gumminess on top to its overall limpness.
I won't assign a grade to this, because it's quite some distance from Rochester and there aren't many places nearby to compare it to. And I don't want to come down too hard on them, based on one slice of pizza, but, for what it's worth, this wasn't great.

Avoca Pizzeria, 2 N. Main St., Avoca

(607) 566-2200

Open 11 a.m. - 9 p.m. daily





1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review (and the phone number, too, which I had lost!). I live in Avoca, and you're right, this place is our only local option for pizza. The next closest place is Poor Fred's Pizza in Bath, which is very good but too far to go for a quick bite. I'm about to call Avoca Pizzeria now for a sheet pizza for dinner tonight; their sheets are usually a lot better than their quickie single-slice selections. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete