Rochester NY Pizza Blog Rochester restaurants LocalEats featured blog

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Luca Brothers, East Rochester

Number 108 Main Street in East Rochester has been home to a pizzeria for some years. In June 2011, I did a post on Chris's Village Way, which I thought was good enough to rate a B, but it's since closed.
In its place comes Luca Brothers.which opened in 2014. I've been there a couple of times now.
I've wanted to like this place, given their stated commitment to authentic Italian pizza, by way of New York, but I haven't been that happy with what I've gotten.
I've had slices at Luca Brothers three times now, and each time I've gotten an underdone slice with a few browned areas underneath. The crust seemed underbaked and doughy. This does not fit with what I think of as New York style or authentic Neapolitan style pizza, which is what they claim to strive for.
In Luca's favor, the slices I've had have been well balanced, and the toppings tasted good. The sauce was nice and tomatoey with a touch of salt, the cheese was nicely melted, and the pepperoni was crisp. But the first thing that hits your tastebuds is the crust, and it just wasn't good.
First time around, I didn't get my slice rewarmed, and I thought maybe that was the problem. Pale and soft crust. Second and third times, I got it rewarmed, but then it just came out brittle, dry and flavorless. It's a shame, because as I said, the toppings were not too bad at all. Just not enough to save the poor crust.
Maybe a full pie, later in the day, would be much better. Maybe at lunchtime, the oven just wasn't hot enough. But I can only rate what I got, and if they chose to put out these slices at lunchtime, well, that's their decision. I hope they start putting out better pizza than this, but I have to give these a D.

Luca Brothers, 108 Main St., East Rochester
(585) 310-7201

Mon. - Thu. 11 a.m. - 10 p.m., Fri. & Sat. 11 a.m. - midnight, Sun. noon - 9 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment