Rochester NY Pizza Blog Rochester restaurants LocalEats featured blog

Monday, August 30, 2010

Joe's Brooklyn Pizza: Aunt Rose's Spinach Pizza

Joe's Brooklyn Pizza on Urbanspoon
Continuing to work my way through Joe's Brooklyn Pizza's menu, I recently tried their "Aunt Rose's Spinach Pizza," which is a white pizza topped with spinach, garlic, shallots, mozzarella, olive oil, and Romano.
As do most of Joe's pizzas, this started out with a thin, crisp crust. The crust on this one seemed particularly thin, even for Joe's, which specializes in New York style pizza. I'm not complaining, it was still good, it just seemed really thin this time.
Spinach isn't for everybody, and spinach pizza isn't for everybody, nor is white pizza. Personally I'm OK with spinach, though I don't count it among my favorite vegetables. And I liked this pizza, but not quite as much as I hoped I would. The flavor was quite mild, and it was a little more bland than I expected.
In saying that, though, I must confess that I got this to go, and due to heavy rush hour traffic it was probably a good hour after leaving Joe's that I was able to sit down and eat this pizza. So although it wasn't exactly cold when I got it home, it was probably not as flavorful as it would've been had I eaten it sooner after it came out of the oven. And in fact some hot slices that I rewarmed the next day did seem to have a little more flavor.
The point is, the flavors of this pizza are more subtle than you'd get with, say, pepperoni, sausage and peppers, etc., and are probably best appreciated when the pizza is still hot. I don't know how much of this is attributable to the long car ride, but this one didn't have as much spinach flavor as I'd expected, and the spinach leaves seemed to have dried out a little. I wondered if they might've been better under, rather than on top of the cheese.
The other flavors worked well together, but again nothing particularly stood out. The garlic was present but not too assertive, and if I picked up anything it was an overall, slight saltiness.
Not a bad pizza, by any means - none of it went to waste, I can assure you - but I wouldn't put this one among my favorites from Joe's. I'd get it again, and in fact I will get it again, sometime, in the form of a fresh, hot slice, just to see how much difference the freshness factor does make. Though this wasn't as bursting with flavor as I'd anticipated, it still had a pleasing combination of toppings, and of course that tasty, crisp crust, making it good enough to rate a B+.
Joe's Brooklyn Pizza, 1100 Jefferson Rd. 424-5637
Mon. - Tue. 11 a.m. - 9 p.m., Wed. - Sat. 11 a.m. - 10 p.m., Sun. noon - 8 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment