Rochester NY Pizza Blog Rochester restaurants LocalEats featured blog

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Ken's Pizza Corner, Henrietta

Pizza Corner on Urbanspoon
Until recently, I had only visited Ken's Pizza Corner once, back in July 2009, for a single slice, which you can read about in this post. I liked it enough to give it a B, though I found the crust remarkably crunchy. I like a crisp crust, but crunchy is different from crisp, and that one was more crunchy than crisp.
But I had the feeling that that slice was perhaps atypical of Pizza Corner's pizza, so I made a mental note to go back sometime for a pie, which I did recently.
I decided to get a large cheese pie. I like other toppings, at times, but plain cheese is always the best test of a pizzieria's pizza, since it can't hide behind a bunch of other ingredients.
This pie had a thin to medium crust, which was screen baked. Immediately it was apparent that this pizza differed from the slice I had last time, which had a pebbly underside. This one was a more typical screen-baked crust. It was dry underneath, with some toasty overtones and some breadiness as well.
The crust was topped with a moderately applied helping of cheese, which had browned a bit and congealed into a single layer. It seemed a bit salty to me, although my wife didn't seem to think it was particularly salty.
The pie was pretty light on the sauce. I don't like an overdose of sauce on my pizza, but I thought this could've used a little more sauce to add some moisture and to balance out the cheese and crust.
Finally along the outer edge of each slice, I got some crunch, reminiscent of the crackly slice I got before.
I ran down some of the details of Ken's menu in my previous post, and I won't repeat myself here, except to note again their long list of specialty pizzas. The potato pizza caught my eye, as that's a style of pizza you'll find in Italy (around Rome, I believe), but Ken's version is strictly American, with mozzarella and cheddar, bacon and sour cream. 
This was not bad pizza, though it didn't wow me either. My daughter pronounced it "very yummy," but her palate seems to be a little less discriminating than mine, at least where pizza is concerned (vegetables, now that's another story). The crust was all right but not too crisp, and it seemed just a tad out of balance, but it was still enjoyable. So I'd put it at just a little above average, and it gets a B- from me. 
Ken's Pizza Corner, 5665 W. Henrietta Rd., 334-0090
Mon. - Thu. 11 a.m. - 11 p.m.; Fri. & Sat. 11 a.m. - midnight; Sun. noon - 10 p.m.(hours unverified - call to check)

No comments:

Post a Comment