Rochester NY Pizza Blog Rochester restaurants LocalEats featured blog

Thursday, February 3, 2011

New York Times Article on Pepperoni

The Times ran this article the other day about pepperoni as a pizza topping. Apparently some high-end, "artisinal" pizzerias have been scoffing at pepperoni as some sort of American bastardization of Italian sausage. Well, sorry, but you're in America. And here, people like pepperoni on their pizza.
Honestly, I don't think I'd say that pepperoni is my favorite pizza topping. Often I like a plain cheese pizza, or maybe fresh chopped garlic, or green peppers and onions. If I want some heat, I'll go for banana peppers, or if I'm feeling carnivorous, Italian-style sausage. But as the chef at one restaurant in the Times article is quoted as saying, "Give the people what they want." And people in America want pepperoni.

1 comment:

  1. Famous saying: "Serve your customers what they want... after they trust you, serve them what "you" want..

    ReplyDelete