Rochester NY Pizza Blog Rochester restaurants LocalEats featured blog

Friday, March 23, 2012

Mr. Sam's Pizza Kitchen - CLOSED

Mr. Sam's Pizza Kitchen on UrbanspoonThanks to a tip from a reader, I learned that Ferrara's Pizza on Spencerport Road had beed replaced by Mr. Sam's Pizza Kitchen. I was rather saddened by that, as I really liked Ferrara's, which I wrote about here, here  and here.
But when one door closes, another opens, or something like that. So my disappointment was tempered by my excitement and curiosity about a new pizzeria opening.
So upon learning of this new place, I got over as soon as I could, and asked for a slice at lunchtime.
It turns out that Mr. Sam's doesn't offer slices, exactly. Instead, you can get a personal-size pie, measuring about eight inches across.
The crust on my pepperoni pie was thin - about an eighth of an inch thick. The underside was pale and somewhat floury, with a bit of corn meal visible. The bottom was firm but not crisp. Not bad, but the raw flour was a bit off-putting.
On the whole, this was a well balanced pizza. I wondered if the slightly browned cheese was a blend of mozzarella and maybe Provolone, as it seemed to have a bit more flavor than you typically get from straight mozzarella, which for all its "meltiness" (I feel free to make up words when the occasion demands) is among the blandest of cheeses. The sauce was moderately applied, in proportion to the crust and cheese, and had a slightly herbal flavor.
Mr. Sam's offers 14 pizza toppings, and no specialty pizzas as such, although their pizzas come in two versions, "traditional red" and "Old World white," which is topped with oil, garlic, Romano cheese and "spices." They also serve strombolis, wings, burgers and hots, and hot and cold subs, including "Mr. Sam's famous hot egg subs," which come with egg, cheese, and assorted other toppings. You can also get salads, sandwiches, soup, and sides.
This pizza wasn't bad, but the crust wasn't the greatest. Acceptable, but a little lifeless, a little too pale, and a little too much flour underneath.
Since Mr. Sam's just opened, I'm going to hold off for now on a rating. This pizza was, on the whole, somewhere around the middle of the pack locally, but I'll go back in a few weeks (although every time I say that it turns into a few months) for another check, and report back then. For now, it's worth checking out.
Mr. Sam's Pizza Kitchen, 485 Spencerport Rd., in CVS Plaza near Long Pond Rd.
247-6777
Tue. - Thu. 11 a.m. - 9 p.m., Fri. 11 a.m. - 10 p.m., Sat. 1:30 p.m. - 10 p.m., Sun. 11 a.m. - 9 p.m. Closed Mondays

No comments:

Post a Comment