Rochester NY Pizza Blog Rochester restaurants LocalEats featured blog

Friday, April 9, 2010

Pizza Land, Caledonia

Pizza Land on Urbanspoon
Today we'll take a trip to the southwest. The southwestern suburbs of Rochester, that is.
Caledonia, which is just across the county line in Livingston County, has a couple of pizza places within a stone's throw of each other on State Street, Daffies and Pizza Land. We'll look at Pizza Land first.
I stopped in at midday for a slice. It had a thin crust, and the underside was fairly dry, although after a while grease from the cheese started to soak through to the bottom. There was some cornmeal visible underneath, and it did not appear to have been baked on a screen. The underside was on the dark side, but more browned than charred.
Flavorwise, the crust wasn't bad. It had some decent breadiness, though again some exterior toastiness would have been welcome.
This was quite a saucy slice. The slightly sweet, tomatoey sauce was generously applied, making this a little sloppy to eat. Although the crust was easily foldable, and could be held with one hand, you probably wouldn't want to eat this on the go, especially if you're wearing a light-colored shirt or pants.
This slice came from a freshly baked pie, and even after it had cooled off a bit, the very melted cheese remained a little gooey and stringy. You'll want to have some napkins handy with a slice like this.
Pizza Land has several area locations; there are others in Le Roy and Avon - I think that's it- and is a family owned business dating back to 1960, though I'm not sure which one came first. They didn't have any takeout menus handy on my visit, but I don't recall seeing anything too out of the ordinary available, pretty much your basic pizza shop fare. There's a little seating in the front near the windows, again, your typical small-town pizzeria setup.
This was OK. The pizza had good flavor, and a decent crust. It was what I'd call a good "slurp down" slice: tastes good, easy to eat. Exceptional? No. But no major complaints here either. I'll give it a B-.
Pizza Land, 3150 State St. (Rt. 5), Caledonia 538-2810
Mon. - Thu. 11 a.m. - 10 p.m., Fri. & Sat. 11 a.m. - 11 p.m., Sun. noon - 10 p.m.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, you're kidding. I was here about a year ago when I was working near there and I still can't forget about this pizza. I live 20 miles away and I'm thinking to head on down there just to get a taste of this pizza. I really like the thin, lots of tomato sauce, great seasonings, and really stringy pizza. Often times, I get the regular Pizza Hut, Domino's, Salvatore's, Mark's Pizzeria... But those pizzas pale in comparison. I think I need to drive 40 mins there just to get a taste of this pizza once again.

    ReplyDelete