Rochester NY Pizza Blog Rochester restaurants LocalEats featured blog

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Pudgie's, Goodman & Norton

Pudgie's Pizza on Urbanspoon
With the closing of Pudgie's on Titus Avenue, I thought it was a good time to check out the only remaining Pudgie's in Rochester, at the corner of Goodman and Norton. (There is another Pudgie's in Canandaigua, and more links in this small family-owned chain in the Southern Tier.)
Pudgie's seems to do a pretty steady business of selling slices during the day, and that's what I got. My pepperoni slice was medium thick, with a soft, pancake-like bottom. The crust was not especially greasy, but had a spongy texture that I didn't care for.
The sauce was moderately applied, and had a slightly sweet flavor. The cheese was nicely melted, just a little browned, and stringy. The pepperoni was unremarkable. The sauce and cheese covered the slice nearly to the outer edge, which was not much thicker than the rest of the slice, which is nice if you don't like a big, thick, crusty edge on your pizza.
Pudgie’s offers a pretty wide variety of pizza toppings, and quite a few non-pizza items as well, including wings, subs, pasta and seafood. Pizzas come in 12- and 16-inch sizes, sheets, and a 12x12 deep-dish pie that I might try sometime. You can order online, although I kind of like to hear a human being take my order so I have some assurance that they got it right.
There were some things I liked about this pizza. It was pretty tasty overall, and the melted cheese and slightly sweet sauce worked well together. But I wasn't too crazy about that crust. Too soft and too spongy. But the flavor was good enough for this slice to rate a C+.
Pudgie's Pizza, 1753 N. Goodman St. 266-6605
Mon. - Thu. 11 a.m. - 10 p.m., Fri. & Sat. 11 a.m. - midnight

4 comments:

  1. I know that location all too well, as it was right next door to the original Proietti's, run by my dad's family. I'm thrilled to see Proietti's has the better pizza, according to the Pizza Guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing against Pudgie's, but it's not even close. In my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My in-laws live in Elmira. They mistakenly believe that Pudgie's is good. I'd rather eat the box it comes in. Probably one of the worst pizzas I've ever(and unfortunately repeatedly)had.

    ReplyDelete