Rochester NY Pizza Blog Rochester restaurants LocalEats featured blog

Friday, January 21, 2011

Perri's, Greece: Buffalo Chicken Pizza


My sampling tour of Buffalo chicken pizza takes us next to the newest Perri's location, which opened recently at the corner of Stone Rd. and Dewey Ave. in Greece. I think this was formerly the site of a Mr. Shoes, which now has just one location on South Avenue.
This Perri's is, at this point, the second location of this mini-chain. There was a Perri's on Norton Street, but Perri's website no longer lists it (though it still appears on their map), and the phone there has been disconnected. I know I wasn't too impressed by the Norton Street Perri's on the one occasion when I stopped there.
But like its sister location in Gates, the Greece Perri's is clean and attractive, with a nice selection of lunchtime slices. Since Perri's offers a "huge slice" for three dollars, I got just the one, forgoing some other tasty-sounding varieties in the interests of investigating Perri's Buffalo chicken pizza. When I last picked up a Perri's slice in Gates, I remember the Buffalo chicken slices seemed to be very popular with the lunchtime crowd.
This slice had a very thin crust, so thin that the cheese was thicker than the dough in some spots. It was screen baked, and firm on the bottom, with variable browning underneath.
The crust was topped by a thin, almost invisible layer of hot sauce. Though the oily concoction wasn't too noticeable to the eye, it made its presence known on the palate, with a medium-hot flavor of Buffalo wing sauce.
Next came a layer of slightly browned mozzarella, which had a certain tanginess, though I couldn't detect any blue cheese on this one.
The cheese was topped with cubes of fried chicken, which were coated with a breading that itself had a peppery kick to it. There was not an abundance of chicken on this slice, but enough to add at least some additional flavor and meaty texture.
Though the crust wasn't particularly crisp, it did have some nice internal breadiness, which was noticeable despite its thinness. Toward the thicker edge those bready qualities came through a bit more, and the chewy outer lip helped take away some of the heat that had accumulated on my palate from the rest of the slice. The slice as a whole was easily foldable, and was reminiscent of a soft taco with a spicy chicken-and-cheese filling.
This wasn't bad, a little greasy perhaps, but again, what do you expect with Buffalo chicken? I might've liked it better with some blue cheese, and perhaps a little more full-bodied sauce, but this was still a tasty slice of pizza. For $3, it's not a bad deal, and an extra $2 will get you a 20 oz. drink and a bag of chips or a cookie too. I'll give this one a B-.
Perri's Pizza, 528 Stone Road at Dewey Ave., Greece. 865.5050
Sun. - Thu. 10 a.m - 10 p.m., Fri. & Sat. 10 a.m. - 11 p.m.

3 comments:

  1. This location seems to have closed, though it's still listed on their website. I drove by it yesterday and there is now (yet another) Chinese restaurant there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update. I'll see what I can find out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I drove by this location today for the first time since my last post, and I stand corrected. I also offer a "Mea Culpa" to this establishment (and my sincerest apologies for any confusion my last post caused). This location IS still open; what I saw the last time (and again today) was a "Taste of Japan" restaurant in the same building next to Perri's.

    ReplyDelete