Rochester NY Pizza Blog Rochester restaurants LocalEats featured blog

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Back to Mac's

I got a comment recently on my post about Mac's on Lyell Avenue, from Mac's itself, suggesting that I return sometime to see how much they've improved since I gave them a C shortly after they opened last December.
Fair enough. It's always good to do a followup once a place has been open for a while. So back I went, a few days ago.
I'd love to get a full pie every time I visit a pizzeria, but even I can't eat that much pizza, so I got a pepperoni slice, which is as big as two regular slices. (And at a place that sells slices, sometimes the slices are better than a fresh pie anyway. But I digress.)
Immediately I could see that this was indeed an improvement over the slice that I got last time.
As always, I started with the underside. Where my prior slice resembled an overdone pancake underneath, this was a mottled, mostly medium shade of brown. It was dry underneath, not greasy. As before, it did have a pan-risen appearance, with some small bubbly craters dotting the bottom surface. While the outer surface wasn't exactly crisp, it was firm. The interior was all right, but not particularly bready.
The slice was pliable but not floppy, and medium thick. It was a little oily on top, but that's to be expected with a pepperoni slice. Though freshly baked, the cheese was more congealed and chewy than stringy or stretchy, and the slice had been given a dusting of what I took to be Romano.
The cheese was moderately applied, in good balance with the crust, as was the sauce, which had a salty/herbal/tomatoey flavor. The thin lip along the outer edge was chewy and bready, though rather pale, and I would've liked a bit more browning and toastiness.
All in all, this was a pretty good slice of pizza. For my taste, I'd prefer a little bit toastier, crisper crust, and the cheese could've been a tad smoother or creamier in texture, but on the whole, this was pretty tasty and well balanced, so I'll bump it up a full grade, to a B.
Mac's Pizzeria & Grill, 2346 Lyell Ave. 14606. 429-MACS (6227)
Sun. - Thu. 11 a.m. - 10 p.m., Fri. & Sat. 11 a.m. - 11 p.m.
Free delivery

3 comments:

  1. Macs is without a doubt the best pizza/wing combo is Rochester, NY. On top of the great tasting food, the prices are amazing

    ReplyDelete
  2. have the chicken wing pizza yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the advice. I'll have to try the Buffalo chicken pizza sometime.

    ReplyDelete