Rochester NY Pizza Blog Rochester restaurants LocalEats featured blog

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

La Bella Sicilia, Buffalo

La Bella Sicilia on Urbanspoon
I've been reporting from time to time on pizza places that I've tried during some recent travels to Buffalo. Here's another.
Before heading westward down the Thruway, I generally research some places online to see if there's anything I'd like to check out. One that caught my eye was La Bella Sicilia in Cheektowaga. Their website advertises both Sicilian and NY style pizza.
I was just passing through, and only had the time and appetite for a slice. There was only one kind available on this lunchtime visit, and it seemed to be something of a hybrid, like a cross between Sicilian and NY style pizza.
This was a "pie" cut, like NY style, not square, like Sicilian, but pan baked and on the thick side, like Sicilian. The browned underside was just a bit oily to the touch but not greasy.
The interior was soft and airy - the word "fluffy" came to mind - but a bit crumbly and biscuitlike as well; in fact the slice broke in two as I was holding it. The edge, however, was quite crunchy.
The sauce and cheese were in good balance with each other, but both were lightly applied for this thick a crust. The sauce was slightly sweet.
So I'm still not sure if what I got was supposed to be NY style or Sicilian pizza, but La Bella Siciliana offers its version of each, as well as a lengthy non-pizza menu, including wings, subs, pasta, veal, chicken and other entrees, salads, and more. There's a small takeout window as well as a full-service restaurant on site, where you can enjoy a glass of beer or wine with your meal.
In keeping with my usual practice, I'm not going to rate this Buffalo establishment. This slice had no major flaws, but fell generally in the "average" range. I remain curious about LBS's takes on two very different styles of pizza, but I don't think I'll be back anytime soon, so I don't know that I'll get a chance to explore that any further.
La Bella Siciliana, 2909 Genesee St., Cheektowaga. 716-896-6692
Mon., Wed. - Sat. 11 a.m. - 11 p.m., Tue. 11 a.m. - 9:30 p.m., Sun. 2 p.m. - 10 p.m.

1 comment:

  1. La Bella pizza is good pizza overall, generally speaking. If you want a specific pizza, you have to be specific & distinguish your appetite. On another note, La Bella is not a pizza joint! You want pizza, go to La Nova. You want Veal Parm? It's at La Bella Sicilia!

    ReplyDelete