Rochester NY Pizza Blog Rochester restaurants LocalEats featured blog

Monday, July 13, 2009

Slices, Honeoye Falls

Slices Pizza & Subs on Urbanspoon
Tony and Enzo's Slices is on Main St. in the village of Honeoye Falls. It's your typical small-town pizza joint, the kind of place where locals stop by to have a quick lunch, grab an after-school slice, or to pick up a pizza on the way home from work.
I had a cheese slice at lunchtime. It was pretty thin and foldable, and I might've been inclined to call it a NYC-style slice until I checked the underside, which was a uniform, medium brown, and which was pockmarked with tiny holes and dimples that I couldn't figure out. It had a faint aroma of cooking oil or grease, and was soft and chewy.
The sauce had a slightly herbal flavor, and the cheese was nicely browned. Both were applied in moderation, which I mean as a compliment, as they were in good balance with the crust.
Slices offers "traditional" and pan pizza, with a decent range of toppings, and some interesting "gourmet" pizzas, includiing chicken bacon ranch, cheeseburger, and greek pizzas. They also have hot and cold subs, calzones, regular and breaded wings, salads, and grilled and fried items like burgers, fries, etc. Plus chili, fried chicken and wraps. Lots of stuff.
Some things I liked about this pizza, some not so much. The sauce had good flavor, the cheese was baked just to the point of browning, and both were in balance with each other and with the crust.
That crust, though, didn't thrill me. Very soft, no crispness or charring, and that faint whiff of grease. I'm not saying this was badly made, but that's just not my idea of a great crust, and without a great crust you can't have a great pizza. The slice overall tasted good, the toppings were good, and overall it was satisfying, but to me, this pizza fell a little short of what it could've been. I'll give it a C+.
Tony and Enzo's Slices, 10 N. Main St., Honeoye Falls. 624-4930
Mon. - Fri. 11 am - 9 pm, Sat. 3 - 9 pm. Closed Sun. Some seating. Delivery available after 4:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment