Rochester NY Pizza Blog Rochester restaurants LocalEats featured blog

Monday, July 27, 2009

Russo's Clubhouse Pizza, Long Pond Road, Greece

Russo's Pizza on Urbanspoon
Russo's Clubhouse Pizza is near the northern end of Long Pond Road, in Cedarfield Commons in Greece. Their lunchtime slice choices are limited to plain cheese or pepperoni. I had a pepperoni slice.
This was a medium-to-thick slice, and fairly heavy. The underside showed some pizza-screen marks but was also a wee bit charred, which is unusual for a screen-baked pizza. It had some creases, kind of like fault lines in appearance, from where the dough seemed to have been folded onto itself while rising. It wasn't at all greasy, had a nice bready flavor, and a thick, chewy edge.
The sauce had a straightforward tomatoey flavor, and was applied enough to be noticed, but still remain mostly in the background behind the crust and the cheese. The latter was a chewy layer of mozzarella, on the thick side, but in balance with the thickish crust, putting this into what I would call Rochester-style pizza.
The wide-and-thin pepperoni was OK, a little crsip and a little greasy.
Russo's has a pretty basic menu, with pizza, wings, burgers, hot dogs, meatball subs, BBQ roast beef sandwiches, steak sandwiches, and a handful of sides, plus ice cream and lemon ice. They don't offer any specialty pizzas (aside from white pizza), although you're free to create your own from their toppings list, but they do have a "diet pizza" with a thin crust, "light" cheese and vegetable toppings. It may be good, but I think I'll stick with my pizza diet over diet pizza.
There are some tables and chairs, and they advertise a "limited delivery area."
My experience with screen-baked pizzas up till now has been almost universally disappointing, but this was one of the better ones I've had, maybe even the best. That may sound like damning with faint praise, but it's not meant that way. Mind you, it did make me wonder how much better it could've been had it been baked in a "hearth" oven, which might've added to the complexity of the flavors and texture of the dough, but I'm not complaining about this pizza. I'll give it a B-.
Russo's Pizza, 496 Long Pond Road, Greece. 225-3570.
Sun. - Thu. 11 am - 10:30 pm, Fri. & Sat. 11 am - midnight

6 comments:

  1. Russo's is closer to our house than any other pizzaria, so as a convenience we've been going there for years. Their pizza is among the least consistent of any we try on a regular basis, ranging from excellent to mediocre.

    Unfortunately, last night they made me wait at the counter while they proceeded to overcook (scorch) $23 worth of pizzas. It wasn't inedible, but wasn't acceptable either. When I called them on it from home, they wanted to call me back later "at their convenience" to discuss remaking the order. Meanwhile, I had a table full of guests waiting to eat, so I suggested that a coupon for a few bucks off a future purchase would suffice, but much to my dismay they were unwilling to do that. Sorry, but there are too many other good pizzaria's in Greece to put up with that nonsense! Carbones, Mark's, Petrella's, La Famiglia, Pizza Americana, Caraglio's, Papa John's, Pizza Hut...here we come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Near Russo's is a bar named "The Retreat", which according to its online menu, also has pizza. I found it randomly looking for a bar to go to. Don't think its a lunch place tho.
    http://www.theretreatgreece.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip. Their website says they open at 4. Not too conveneient for me for dinner but I might manage it some night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another Greece bar with pizza on its online menu:
    Tackles on the Bay
    http://www.tacklesonthebay.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Russo's has the BEST pizza in town. I have never has a problem and order 2-3 times a month.

    ReplyDelete